Thursday, August 1, 2013

That baby bump

 
Well, last week I complained about gaining 20 lbs, so you shouldn't be surprised about this topic. Today at work I encountered a coworker who was also pregnant! Wahoo, right? There’s nothing better than experiencing that “we’re in this together!” feeling…most of the time. An example of a time when there is something better than experiencing this feeling is when you compare due dates (me: Dec. 5th; coworker: Dec. 8th) and realize that WHOA BABY, YOUR BABY BUMP IS HUGE! I mean this tiny little woman standing next to me was not even showing. I’m not exaggerating. You couldn’t tell she was pregnant. I’ve been wearing maternity clothes since I was 10 weeks along! (I’m lying…more like 8 weeks. I like maternity clothes! I have a lot of them that are really cute and elastic waistbands are just comfortable when you are busy trying not to vomit/growing a human being with your own body). Anyway, there I stood, in a high traffic area of the office (top of the stairway), feeling LIKE A HUGE PREGNANT COW. She was just so tiny! It’s such a frustrating feeling and I think most pregnant mamas experience this. One day someone tells you “You’re barely showing! You are just so very tiny!” and the next day someone asks “How many babies are in there?!” while you are getting a pedicure. And in your pregnant mama head you are thinking, “REALLY?! I MEAN REALLY?! GO AWAY. AND THEN COME BACK WITH A CHURRO IN YOUR HAND!” I’m sure I’ve (accidentally) made pregnant women feel this way myself. Pregnancy is such an amazing miracle and most people can barely wrap their head around the fact that there is a little baby growing inside of you. With a heart and lungs and arms and legs and fingers and toes. Demanding to be fed (so he/she can grow!), kicking at random times, disrupting your sleep with backaches and leg cramps, and melting your heart as you imagine what he/she will look like, and be like, and act like. Because most people can’t wrap their head around this crazy, amazing miracle, they say ridiculous things, right?

Anyway, back to my exciting afternoon experience with my coworker. While I stood there, feeling huge, we transitioned into my second favorite pregnancy topic. Discussing my baby #1, Jack. Don’t get me wrong, I loveeee talking about Jack. What I don’t enjoy talking about is how “CRAZY!” people think it is that we already have baby #2 on the way since baby #1 is so young. Enter coworker’s monologue about how she can’t even imagine having two kids so close together, and isn’t her daughter a lot older than my son (but we’re both equally pregnant so that can’t possibly be the case, she surmises), and what will my son even do when the new baby arrives?! Blah blah blah.  I normally just try to end this type of conversation quickly by saying (with a big, fat, genuine smile on my face) that we are VERY EXCITED that we’ve been blessed with two babies. Because we are. Jack is a bigger blessing than I ever could have imagined. And so is this next little one!


On that note, I was really grateful that she didn’t transition to my next least favorite topic…what this next little one (baby #2) will be like. Since Jack was a perfect angel baby, who rarely cried, nursed like a champ (evidenced by rolls upon rolls on his sweet chubby baby body!), slept through the night from 8 weeks on, and was/is pretty much content 95% of the time…most people we encounter like to share with us that they think we are in for a big surprise with this next baby. (Because they know?!) And no way would we be blessed with another perfect angel baby. And no way are we just hardworking/loving/attentive parents who will figure it out no matter what happens. Nope…we got lucky with Jack, but that only happens once (according to them) so we better be prepared for an earthquake/tornado/hurricane of a child with this next arrival. I never really know what to say except, “Yeah. I guess we’ll see!” Because who knows what this little baby will be like? Easy or colicky, crabby or sweet-natured, bald or full head of hair, chubby or skinny – we will love this baby so much that it hurts, just like we did and do with Jack. And we’ll get through the tough times and the great times and we’ll probably look back on the months when we had two kids under two years old and say “Whewww weee! That was wild!” and then hopefully we’ll smile and laugh and maybe drink a big fat glass of wine while we reminisce about the day that our family went from 3 to 4. :)


Baby #2 - currently the size of spaghetti squash. I mean where on your body can you
 hide a spaghetti squash if you don't have a big, fat baby bump?

No comments:

Post a Comment